Sunday, February 24, 2013

What to do at a photo shoot?

Hey everyone!
A lot of people that follow my tumblr are people aspiring models, fashion enthusiasts, models, etc. One question I get asked a lot is "How do you know what to do during photo shoots?" Well, on my first photoshoot with my mother management I was very timid in front of the camera, and needed tons of direction from the photographers.  Even though I'm still new in the industry, I have a better understanding of what my best angles are, and what flatters me the most - I still have some improvement to do, and i'm not perfect but I try my best! :-)

First Test shoot                                                                          Second Test Shoot 




In the first picture, even though I like this picture of me, my face doesn't show too much emotion - compared to the second picture, its much more interesting, and I places my hands in a way that enhances the photo more. Theres more intensity in my eyes, and it looks like I put more thought into the posing of this picture.        

Tips on how to improve skills in front of the camera

  1. Practice in front of the mirror - make different faces (surprised, sad, happy - start with the basics first). 
  2. Think about something that evokes emotion - if you want to look 'fierce' in a picture with intensity in your eyes, think of something that makes you angry - but don't over do it
  3. Move - Doing this in front of people may be awkward at first, because you don't know what works, and what does work. Thats fine! You have to experiment with angels and figure out what looks the best for you 
  4. Look at models in magazine - study their facial expressions, and the way they move their body. You can also look at behind the scenes footage of photo shoots on YouTube, and watch the model in motion. 
  5. Don't be afraid to step out of the box - if you don't feel like you're bringing out enough in your face, try to laugh (don't worry about looking weird! Laugh as much as you want, to bring out a genuine smile, think of something funny!) Even screaming is okay, there are tons of pictures where models are screaming and some have even made covers! 
  6. Take advice from the photographer - If the photographer tells you to move, or look another direction, don't hesitate. He/She is not trying to insult you, they are trying to help you look as best as you can! 
Thats my two cents on being in front of the camera, and improving! Hope this helps!
xox
Zuri Tibby 

No comments:

Post a Comment